Our next project brings us to the City of Fairhope to place the historic American Legion building on the National Register of historic places. The structure was originally constructed in 1912 as the retreat for members of the Business Women’s Club, a national organization. The original wrap-around porch sleeping gallery was enclosed in 1961. The structure has not changed since this time and the original interior, prior to the 1961 enclosure, remains intact. The building currently serves as the meeting hall for the Fair American Legion, Post 199.
Copyright © 2019 McNair Historic Preservation, Inc. All rights reserved.